YouthLink believes in the potential of every youth. We are dedicated to providing them with the support, guidance and opportunities they need to make positive life choices. We provide youth with brief and ongoing counselling, in-home wraparound support, shelter, housing, educational support, and safe drop-in spaces. YouthLink works towards equitable outcomes for youth in our community and, as such, is committed to equity-based hiring practices.
We welcome applications from candidates who reflect the communities we serve, particularly candidates from Black communities, Indigenous communities, and racialized people, persons with disabilities, members of diverse gender identities and people with lived experiences. We are seeking candidates who demonstrably operate and practice from an equity and trauma-informed lens. We encourage applications from passionate professionals who will help us dismantle systemic barriers and will embrace working outside of Euro-centric practices.
Administrative Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs Program)
(Contract Full-time 35 hours per week)
(July 4th, 2023 – August 28th, 2023)
(Non-Bargaining unit position)
The Administrative Assistant student placement can explore front – desk, social services, and education related occupations. The position provides support to the YouthLink Pathways to Education team and students with front desk, administrative tasks and summer programming opportunities.
Highlights of Your Role
- Completion of administrative tasks related to programming and the general operations of the Pathways office.
- Support staff with organizing, planning and delivering summer activities.
- Support with student’s file auditing, updating forms, and other administrative tasks.
- Screen students when they arrive.
- Support with monitoring of the space while students are using it.
- Assist with the tracking of students’ program participation.
- Document relevant interactions with students for staff to review.
- Organizes, reviews, and maintains updated opportunities and referral information (program and community) available to students.
- Weekly update boards and TV presentation in the lobby with relevant information.
- Supports and participates in Pathways programming and other community activities as required.
- Communicates with Manager about any necessary information and participates in regular supervisions.
- Support staff with registration and re-registration of students.
- Support with the planning and delivering of students orientations in August.
- Supports with facilitation of ongoing and one-time activities in the summer, including summer tutoring.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures of the organization.
- Participates in any workshops or trainings as required.
- Takes all reasonable precautions to protect own health and safety
Highlights of What You Bring
- Lived experience or great sensitivity to youth from culturally diverse, low-income communities and knowledge of the impact of poverty on educational attainment.
- Lived experience, knowledge and understanding and knowledge of systemic barriers and oppression rooted in colonization, racism, transphobia, classism, misogyny, moralism, ableism, and how they impact young people.
- Operates using and Anti- Black Racism /Anti- Oppression lens and strength based frameworks.
- Lived experience or knowledge of Scarborough and/or Scarborough Village community an asset.
- Administrative or program delivery experience is an asset.
- Previous experience with YouthLink or the Pathways Program is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and written skills.
- Ability to problem – solve individually or in a team setting.
- Proficient computer use skills.
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset (Tamil, Urdu, Farsi, Creole, French, Dari, Arabic, Pashto, Hungarian)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination and Vulnerable Sector Check required.
- Between 15 and 30 years of age.
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (which means you must have a valid Social Insurance Number)
Hourly Rate: $15.50 per hour.
Work Location: 1-3545 Kingston Road, Scarborough, Ontario
Full job description available here: JD – Administrative Assistant (Pathways to Education)
How to Apply
- Submit application to email@example.com – Please quote posting #1356 in the subject line.
- As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. If you have a disability and require accessibility accommodations with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Position open until filled