YouthLink believes in the potential of every youth. We are dedicated to providing them with the support, guidance and opportunities they need to make positive life choices. We provide youth with brief and ongoing counselling, in-home wraparound support, shelter, housing, educational support, and safe drop-in spaces. YouthLink works towards equitable outcomes for youth in our community and, as such, is committed to equity-based hiring practices.
We welcome applications from candidates who reflect the communities we serve, particularly candidates from Black communities, Indigenous communities, and racialized people, persons with disabilities, members of diverse gender identities and people with lived experiences. We are seeking candidates who demonstrably operate and practice from an equity and trauma-informed lens. We encourage applications from passionate professionals who will help us dismantle systemic barriers and will embrace working outside of Euro-centric practices.
FEE FOR SERVICE CONTRACT
Peer Support Leader
(Temporary, Part-time, 20 hours/week)
(Starting ASAP – October 31st, 2024)
Non-Bargaining Unit Position
The Peer Support Worker from Youthlink will support at-risk youth and their families. They will work closely with the Program Facilitator-Peer Support to address violence, conflict resolution, employment, and to address violence while enhancing conflict resolution and employment skills in the Eglinton East Community.
- Building trusting relationships with at-risk youth and their families,
- Providing individualized support
- Outreach in various Eglinton East communities
- Collaborating with the Program Facilitator-Peer Support and other peer workers
- Assisting youth in developing conflict resolution skills and building resiliency
- Enhancing cultural identity
- Referring youth and families to resources
- Participating in planning and organizing community events and workshops
- Collecting data and feedback for program evaluation and improvement
- Engaging youth during workshop delivery
- Assisting with project evaluation
- Attending weekly and monthly team and partner meetings
- Other duties as assigned
What You Bring
Education and Experience:
- An understanding of the strengths and capacities of, as well as the barriers and challenges faced by Scarborough black and racialized youth
- Relevant experience in youth services, social services, lived experience, or community-based programs.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by at-risk youth and their families.
- Empathetic and non-judgmental approach to building relationships with youth.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to engage and connect with Racialized youth.
- Knowledge of conflict resolution strategies and resiliency-building techniques.
- Cultural competence and a commitment to addressing violence within the community.
- Familiarity with the Scarborough or Eglinton East and its resources is a plus.
- Familiar with using technology to present information in an engaging manner
- Ability to learn database systems
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build meaningful rapport with staff, volunteers, project partners and youth participants
- Knowledge of Anti-Black racism and the impact on youth
- Operates using a strong Anti-Black Racism lens is an asset.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated skill in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion practices, and specifically using an Anti-Black Racism lens.
Full COVID-19 vaccination and Vulnerable Sector Check required.
Work location(s): 596 Danforth Road, Scarborough & 3545 Kingston Road, Scarborough.
Program: Community Outreach Program.
Work Hours: 20 working hours per week. This position requires evening hours.
Fee for Service: $15.50 per hour
How to Apply
- Submit application to email@example.com – Please quote posting #1383 in the subject line.
- As an organization committed to equity and justice in our community, we believe lived experience and knowledge of equity, diversity, belonging and anti-Black racism is a critical component in our recruitment process. If you have a disability and require accessibility accommodations with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application Deadline: Open until Filled.