JOB POSTING File #1059
Based in Scarborough, YouthLink provides a range of mental health services proven to build resiliency & improve life outcomes for youth at risk.
Last year we reached out to more than 8700 young people and their families, helping youth to build connections with caring adults, develop their strengths, build new skills and pursue their goals for a more promising future. With the right support, guidance and opportunities, we believe that all youth can achieve their potential to succeed.
Visit our website www.youthlink.ca for more information.
January 30, 2019
Residential Counsellor Permanent, Full-timeBargaining Unit Position
YouthLink Residence – East Scarborough
Senior Manager, Residence & Co-operative Housing
This position is responsible for the daily care and therapeutic treatment of 9 adolescent young women with varying degrees of mental health disorders. This position also provides direct care and case management, as well as administrative and household functions of the residence.
- Provides daily and household functioning routines, such as hygiene, attendance at school, work, medical, therapy appointments, shopping, menu planning and preparation, daily chores and settling in routines.
- Manages specialized treatment plans for twelve residents to develop self-esteem. Provides individualized routines to address resident health care, promotes individual beliefs and values and provides on-going support to residents. Provides case management progress reports internally and externally as required. Dispenses and documents medications. Assists with emergency services, such as accompanying residents to the hospital. Monitors substance use and promotes safer sex practices. Promotes acceptance of disability or impairment.
- Maintains therapeutic milieu by providing a home-like atmosphere within the residence: crisis management, role
modeling, navigating peer dynamics, building self-esteem and creating a safe and positive environment . Writes reports and other administrative tasks: serious occurrence and incident reports, daily logs, medical logs, missing person, etc. Orients new residents. Works with student placements . Maintains the residence, including cleaning, maintenance tasks, garbage removal, snow removal, fire drills and fire safety checks and other routine tasks associated with the care of the residence . Provides school support, including contact with TDSB staff, supervises homework, attends parent-teacher interviews. Researches and connects residents with school programs and tutoring and assists with applications, e.g. OSAP.
- Provides job and volunteer placement support for residents, including writing resumes and letters, role-playing interviews, connecting with job resources and
problem solvingwith employers and co-workers . Plans and facilitates therapeutic evening and weekend programs, such as sports activities, life skills, outings, games and other activities . Communicates with service providers, including doctors and therapists, recreational workers, teachers and counselors, clergy, lawyers, case workersand governmental service providers . Provides family support through in-person and phone contact with parents, informal counseling, treatment updates and recommending services and supports . Activ el y contributes to the Agency’s Strategic Plan by participating in initiatives and committees to support the overall Plan.
- Takes all reasonable and necessary precautions to protect his or her own health and safety and that of co-workers by complying and demonstrating knowledge of the policies, procedures and safe practices established by YouthLink.
- Undergraduate Degree in Social Work, Degree/ Diploma in Child and Youth Worker or a combination of directly related education and experience.
Minimumtwo years’ experience working in residential treatment.
- Experience working with at-risk adolescent females from a strength-based approach.
- Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, including lifting, bending and prolonged standing as well as the ability to be trained in CPI (Crisis Prevention Institute) techniques.
- Ability to work within a staff team that provides for young women’s diverse needs and experience, including knowledge of diversity issues.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and concise clinical reports in a scheduled timeframe including maintaining complete and confidential case records and required program paperwork.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills. Ability to multi-task and prioritize responsibilities.
- Effective interpersonal skills
. Proven ability to case manage and access appropriate community resources for the resident and provide educational support.
- Must be able to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Must be able to obtain appropriate medical clearances including up to date vaccinations and tuberculosis testing
. Proficiency in French is an asset.
HOURS OF WORK:
- 40 hours per week
- This position involves shift work including evenings and weekends.
$ 53,087 – 58,708
APPLY IN WRITING TO:
email@example.com – please quote File #1059 in
February 12th, 2019
YouthLink values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to equity and inclusion. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. If you have a disability and require accessibility accommodations with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.