December 8, 2023
YouthLink believes in the potential of every youth. We are dedicated to providing them with the support, guidance and opportunities they need to make positive life choices. We provide youth with brief and ongoing counselling, in-home wraparound support, shelter, housing, educational support, and safe drop-in spaces. YouthLink works towards equitable outcomes for youth in our community and, as such, is committed to equity-based hiring practices.
We welcome applications from candidates who reflect the communities we serve, particularly candidates from Black communities, Indigenous communities, and racialized people, persons with disabilities, members of diverse gender identities and people with lived experiences. We are seeking candidates who demonstrably operate and practice from an equity and trauma-informed lens. We encourage applications from passionate professionals who will help us dismantle systemic barriers and will embrace working outside of Euro-centric practices.
YouthLink Benefits are Top of Class!
- Competitive pay
- Health & dental coverage for you and your family with 100% premium cost paid by employer.
- Annual vacation with pay at 1.66 working days for each calendar month to a maximum of 20 working days per year.
- 5 ‘authorized absence’ days for family illness or emergency circumstances that prohibit employees from reporting to work.
- 3 paid agency days every calendar year after 3 calendar months service.
- Maternity / parental /adoption leave top-up payments (to top-up Canadian government unemployment benefit payments).
- 100% premium cost for long-term disability coverage paid by employee.
- Eligibility to participate in pension plan after 2 years of continuous service with generous matching contribution from employer.
Senior Manager, People & Culture
(Permanent full-time, 35 hours/week)
(Non-Bargaining Unit position)
As the Senior Manager, People & Culture, you will be part of a team who share a passion for supporting youth. Reporting to the Senior Director, Human Resources, you will provide ongoing human resource and people management support and advice to leaders in a unionized environment, enabling them to make informed business decisions that have people implications. Using the agency’s equity lens and commitment to address ABR, you will collaborate with program and service leaders to implement in the following areas: recruitment strategy and execution, onboarding, benefits administration, performance management, talent development, succession planning, learning and development, employee engagement, employee relations, compensation and change management.
Highlights of Your Role
Recruitment & Retention of top talent:
Partners with leadership on recruitment initiatives that will bring in top talent. Develops strategies to modernize and streamline processes. Adopts best bias-free and equitable hiring practices. Designs and implements Service Appreciation Program.
Onboarding to build a culture:
Develops and implements comprehensive onboarding plans. Ensures onboarding processes and orientation sessions for new employees, student placements and casual employees, are updated and ready for facilitation to ensure new team members are fully immersed in the YouthLink approach, polices and structures
Training and Coaching:
Designs and implements training strategies in conjunction with Senior Leadership team for the organization. Identifies gaps in skills and competencies, identifies main training needs and prepares the training plan. Coaches leadership team on HR best practices, legislation and procedures. Facilitates building of culture of transparency, openness, honesty and safe space within the Agency. Ensures that development plans incorporate opportunities for succession goals.
Equity, Diversity and Belonging:
Proactively and enthusiastically stays updated on best practices as it relates to Equity, Diversity and Belonging and organizational development. Works collaboratively with ABR Committee and Director of Anti-Racism, Equity and Belonging to embed best practices into all programs, operational goals and processes. Is committed to investigating and implementing Equity, Diversity and Belonging practices in HR. Centres a focus on addressing anti-Black racism in all areas of HR policy and planning.
Actively involved in HR networks where the latest and best practices in HR are shared and brings those ideas back for consideration and possible action. Participates in external EDI networks to identify opportunities growth for the organization. Represents YouthLink for any HR related not-for-profit and Children’s Mental Health advocacy and information sharing groups.
Facilitates Strong Employee Engagement:
Generates ideas and develops programs that support building a healthy agency culture where employees are engaged, aligned and feeling valued. Leads communications updates from the HR department. Conducts workplace investigations and reports on findings when the need arises. Facilitates conciliation and mediation sessions to ensure relationships are nurtured.
Ensures staff are supported with benefits and pay:
Keeps on top of compensation and benefit trends to identify any opportunities to improve total compensation plans. Indirectly oversees payroll, time and attendance and benefits administration for the organization.
Facilitates Union partnership:
Works with program and service leadership to ensure full compliance with the Collective Agreement. Works with the HR team to address any grievances. Assists in conducting regular CA training and coaching with leadership.
Ensuring Employee Data Integrity:
Ensures accurate employees’ data, including ensuring that periodic audits of personnel files are conducted. Identifies modernization opportunities of processes and oversees updates to HRIS.
Supports Organization’s Strategy:
Actively contributes to the organization’s Strategic Plan by participating in initiatives and committees to support the plan.
Health & Safety:
Takes all reasonable and necessary precautions to protect own health and safety and that of co-workers by complying and demonstrating knowledge of the policies, procedures and safe practices established by YouthLink.
Safer and Braver Space Leadership:
Provides proactive agency leadership, dialogue, communication, resources and training to support all agency leaders and staff to effectively and consistently advance and support an agency culture of psychological safety for all: youth, staff, volunteers students and community members.
Other duties as assigned.
Highlights of What You Bring
- Undergraduate diploma/degree in Human Resources Management or related discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Membership with Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA) and working towards a CHRP/CHRL designation is a strong asset.
- Coursework that demonstrates your desire for continual learning in Equity, Diversity and Belonging practices in HR is a strong asset
- Five (5) or more years’ relevant experience in Human Resources with exposure to multiple branches of HR. Sound working knowledge and understanding of relevant Employment Standards and Human Rights legislation
- Three (3) years’ demonstrated management experience managing multiple HR specialities in a small organization or one HR specialty in a large organization including planning, performance management, and problem solving.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mediation skills and conducting workplace investigations
- Experience working in a not-for-profit and / or unionized environment a strong asset.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully and professional at all times.
- Excellent leadership, administrative and communication skills (verbal and written) including ability to collaborate, negotiate, facilitate and resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated skill in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion practices, and specifically using an Anti-Black Racism lens.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and maintain a high level of employee trust.
- Ability to multitask and deal with all levels within the organization.
- Excellent organizational and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Attention to details and high level of accuracy.
- Creates Vision and Strategy
- Mobilizes People though leadership, guidance, empathy and coaching
- Collaborates with Partners and Stakeholders
- Fosters Learning, Promotes Innovation and Effectively Guides Change
- Achieve Results and Ensuring Accountability
- Equity, Inclusion and Belonging with a specific focus on Anti-Black Racism
- Demonstrates Strong Character and Judgement
- Problem Solving – Ability to appropriately manage multiple challenges and problems that might emerge- logistics, administration, human resources, emotional, planning- in a collaborative, timely and effective manner; This includes gathering and analyzing relevant information skillfully and making sound decisions, guided by teamwork and in consultation with appropriate experts.
- Project Management Skills – Demonstrated ability to effectively execute HR plans and activities; Effectively leads the coordination of all HR initiatives; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities and individual issues within the HR team.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues and promotes continuous learning and development opportunities for self and team; Strives to continuously build HR-related knowledge and skills.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict and promoting healthy HR team and interpersonal relations; Maintains confidentiality; Listens well to others ; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to team-members’ ideas and supports innovation and creativity; provides agency stability, confidence and respect in engaging youth, HR team members, YL staff and other stakeholders.
- Written Communication – Has demonstrated strong, effective, clear and proficient writing abilities.
- Verbal communication-Demonstrates high quality, effective and capable communication; Understands and appropriately works with urban youth cultural cues and idioms- especially in how it impacts staff support for the work
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Consistently leads the work to build a positive HR team spirit; Prioritizes team success; Able to build and sustain good team morale and group commitments to HR goals and objectives.
- Change Management – Effectively leads, navigates, promotes and manages the various YL changes and challenges related to the emerging new directions of YL’s agenda; Ensures that the HR-related priorities of the implementation plans are realistic and positioned strongly for success; Communicates changes effectively to team members, YL leaders and staff. Builds commitment; effectively monitors HR transition and evaluates results.
- Strategic Thinking – Leans fully into YL’s Strategic Priorities to achieve YL goals; Consistently assesses internal and sector environments to ensure responsiveness and strategic positioning to optimize YL’s HR leadership.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to take initiative and make sound decisions; Exhibits good judgement based on experience; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic HR action plans.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to direction from Senior Director, HR; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Is punctual, organized and efficiently uses time, leads by example; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person(s) with an alternate plan, if necessary.
Full COVID-19 vaccination and Vulnerable Sector Check required.
Full job description available here: https://youthlink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Senior-Manager-People-Culture-JD-2023-Final.pdf
- How to Apply
- Submit application to email@example.com –Please quote posting #1402 in the subject line.
- As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. If you have a disability and require accessibility accommodations with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application Open until filled.