YouthLink believes in the potential of every youth. We are dedicated to providing them with the support, guidance and opportunities they need to make positive life choices. We provide youth with brief and ongoing counselling, in-home wraparound support, shelter, housing, educational support, and safe drop-in spaces. YouthLink works towards equitable outcomes for youth in our community and, as such, is committed to equity-based hiring practices.
We welcome applications from candidates who reflect the communities we serve, particularly candidates from Black communities, Indigenous communities, and racialized people, persons with disabilities, members of diverse gender identities and people with lived experiences. We are seeking candidates who demonstrably operate and practice from an equity and trauma-informed lens. We encourage applications from passionate professionals who will help us dismantle systemic barriers and will embrace working outside of Euro-centric practices.
YouthLink Benefits are Top of Class!
- Competitive pay
- *Annual vacation with pay at 1.66 working days for each calendar month to a maximum of 20 working days per year.
- *5 ‘authorized absence’ days for family illness or emergency circumstances that prohibit employees from reporting to work.
- *3 paid agency days every calendar year after 3 calendar months’ service.
- Maternity / parental /adoption leave top-up payments (to top-up Canadian government unemployment benefit payments).
- Eligibility to participate in pension plan after 2 years of continuous service with generous matching contribution from employer.
*(pro-rated for part-time employees according to the employee’s full-time equivalency (FTE))
Shelter Youth Worker – Weekend Overnight
(2 vacant positions)
(Permanent, Part-time 14 hours per week)
Bargaining Unit Position
The Overnight Youth Worker reporting to Senior Manager, Youth Transitional Housing & Shelter Program is required to remain awake throughout the overnight shift to supervise and assist residents within agency policies, procedures and practices to assess their needs. Overnight Youth workers will be expected to model a collaborative, cooperative approach focused on the personal, social, cultural and educational development of the residents. Staff will be expected to practice within a framework that is a strengths-based relationship-based philosophy of care and a belief in the resilience of youth.
Highlights of Your Role
- Intake and reception function on a 24-hour basis; admit and discharge as required. Facilitate intake and triage processes for clients; make necessary referrals.
- Store and properly document belongings of clients who have booked out or been discharged.
- Monitoring building to ensure safety, management of external environment, completing building and bed checks and searches, if required.
- Supervise bedtime and morning routine activities of all residents.
- Development of temporary case plan based on identified needs, respond to crisis intervention in situations of medical/physical emergencies and for youth who have experienced trauma.
- Ensure warm welcome of residents, conduct intake interview of potential residents for emergency shelter, orient new residents and redirect admissions, when appropriate. Ensure that all administrative duties are completed and entered into the database at time of intake.
- Manage crisis intervention and respond to crisis situations following appropriate procedures, ensures debrief process for youth. Addresses behavior issues on the spot and consults with team and on-call manager if need be.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the program area. Keep all programming areas clean and tidy, disinfecting furniture, remake resident rooms after discharge, adhere to health and safety requirements.
- Documents according to professional standards any significant interaction with residents. Log and record medications and usage. Ensure safety and security of clients, guests, staff and property.
- Participates in individual supervision meetings, team meetings, case conferences, workshops and committees as required.
Equity, Diversity and Belonging:
Proactively stays updated on best practices as it relates Equity, Diversity and Belonging. Works collaboratively with ABR Committee and Director of Anti-Racism, Equity, Inclusion and Community to embed best practices into all operational goals and processes.
Supports Organization’s Strategy:
Actively contributes to the Agency’s Strategic Plan by participating in initiatives and committees to support the overall Plan.
Takes all reasonable and necessary precautions to protect his or her own health and safety and that of co-workers by complying and demonstrating knowledge of the policies, procedures and safe practices established by YouthLink.
Highlights of What You Bring
- Diploma in Child and Youth Worker or Social Services Worker Diploma or a combination of directly related education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a front-line worker, preferably in a residential, housing, outreach or shelter setting.
Work Hours and Working Conditions:
- 14 working hours per week for each position.
- Position 1 shift: Saturday and Sunday (11:30pm – 7:30am)
- Position 2 shift: Saturday and Sunday (12 Midnight – 8:00am)
- Must be able to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Police Check.
- Proof of 2 Step TB tests required.
- Proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 is required.
Salary Range: $46,298 – $52,450 (pro-rated based on hours worked)
Full job description available here: https://youthlink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Job-Description-Youth-Worker_Overnight-Jan-2022-1-1.pdf
How to Apply:
- Submit application to email@example.com – Please quote posting #1317 in the subject line.
- As an organization committed to equity and justice in our community, we believe lived experience and knowledge of equity, diversity, belonging and anti-Black racism is a critical component in our recruitment process. If you have a disability and require accessibility accommodations with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline Open until Filled.