YouthLink believes in the potential of every youth. We are dedicated to providing them with the support, guidance and opportunities they need to make positive life choices. We provide youth with brief and ongoing counselling, in-home wraparound support, shelter, housing, educational support, and safe drop-in spaces. YouthLink works towards equitable outcomes for youth in our community and, as such, is committed to equity-based hiring practices.
Sleep Night Counsellor
(Mat Leave Contract part-time, 45 hours/biweekly)
(Starting ASAP – September 16, 2023)
(Bargaining Unit Position)
This is an overnight sleep position that is responsible for the daily care and therapeutic treatment of 9 adolescent young women with varying degrees of mental health disorders. The candidate will primarily sleep in this position, but may be required to be awake occasionally to respond to emergency situations. When awake, the incumbent is responsible for assisting the Residential Night Counsellor on shift to provide structure, stability, support and crisis intervention.
Highlights of Your Role
- This candidate will primarily sleep and will be available to respond to emergency situations and assist the Residential Night Counsellor. (90%)
When awake: (10%)
- Creates a safe and positive environment and crisis management.
- Creates, ensures and maintains a safe and inclusive therapeutic milieu.
- Builds productive and supportive relationships with both staff and residents.
- Engages in a therapeutic relationship using a relational approach with youth.
- Writes reports and other administrative tasks: serious occurrence and incident reports, daily logs, medical logs, missing person, etc.
- Actively contributes to the Agency’s Strategic Plan by participating in initiatives and committees to support the overall Plan.
- Takes all reasonable and necessary precautions to protect his or her own health and safety and that of co-workers by complying and demonstrating knowledge of the policies, procedures and safe practices established by YouthLink.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Supports Organization’s Strategy: Actively contributes to the Agency’s Strategic Plan by participating in initiatives and committees to support the overall plan. This includes continual learning and growth in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Child and Youth Worker Diploma or Degree, Social Work, Psychology or a directly related discipline
- A minimum of two field practicum placements, together totaling over 1000 hours of field placement, one of which must have been a field practicum placement in residential group treatment with adolescent youth.
- Membership in the OACYC an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in case and crisis management.
- Experience in group facilitation/mediation and knowledge of group dynamics.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, including lifting, bending and prolonged standing as well as the ability to be trained in CPI (Crisis Prevention Institute) techniques.
- Ability to work within a staff team that provides for young women’s diverse needs and experience, including knowledge of diversity issues.
Other Additional Requirements:
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check required.
- Medical clearances including up to date vaccinations and tuberculosis testing required.
- Proof of full COVID 19 Vaccination required.
- This position requires working overnight hours. There are some risks involved such as crisis management. Minimal travelling required.
Hours of work: This position involves working overnight hours, on a bi-weekly rotation:
Week 1: Friday, Saturday and Sunday (11:00pm to 8am)
Week 2: Friday and Saturday (11:00pm to 8am)
- 15.50 per hour for sleep hours.
- $54,692 – $60,482 (pro-rated and converted to hourly rate for awake hours)
Full job description available here: https://youthlink.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Sleep-Night-Counsellor-JD-Oct-2022-1.pdf
How to Apply
- Submit application to email@example.com – Please quote posting #1294 in the subject line.
- As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our communities. If you have a disability and require accessibility accommodations with the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job posting deadline – October 21st, 2022.